Monday 11 March 2013

Welcome to my World ...

... of Complementary Therapy.

My journey began in 1998 while I was still in part-time employment.  I was happy doing my daily, although stressful, work as a Medical Receptionist at our local Doctors Surgery.  A friend and work colleague asked me one morning if I fancied joining her on a ten-week introductory course to massage?  There would be no qualification, it was only for fun.  Well why not? !!!

So off we went.  I didn’t know what to expect but the tutor was nice, the people were friendly and I thought 'well it’s only ten weeks, soon be over and done with'.  I would learn a new skill, use it on my husband (who I must say suffered with his back) and also could massage my children.  Well, boy oh boy, I didn’t expect what happened next. 

I decided I’d go first and massage my friend and, as soon as my hands touched her, I had one of those moments!  Wow, I really needed to do this, it was fabulous.  Even though I was rubbish at it at first, it was wonderful.  So I immediately decided to enrol on a proper college course and learn this wonderful skill properly and gain a qualification.

My journey had begun.  I started the course and studied Anatomy & Physiology and Swedish Massage.  God it was hard!!  I was an older student and found it hard to absorb, but as the weeks and months went on I found it fascinating and couldn’t stop reading, writing and learning.  The icing on the cake was learning to massage properly and understand the effects it has on the body.

Well, eventually the courses ended and exams were looming.  A three hour written exam and an hour practical, stressful or what!!!  Once it was over the waiting began and I was pulling it all apart and worrying endlessly, until the post arrived with my results and I had passed with flying colours and gained a Credit for my efforts.  Fantastic.  But where was I going with all this new found knowledge, then another chapter begins.

Further studies and learning new therapies.  I found it wonderful and fascinating and began understanding that not all therapies suit everyone.  So I became multi-skilled, which I must say is brilliant as each new therapy opened a can of worms for me and I had a thirst for knowledge and understanding.  Also, my spiritual side was opening up as these wonderful therapies are holistic -  meaning the whole.  We were working on the mind, body and spirit and what a package; helping people in a wonderful way, initiating the body’s natural healing abilities.  What a wonderful career I was opening up for myself.

Well learning goes on and on and once into this type of career, it never ends.  We want it all and want it now.  However, this path takes a little time but the journey is so worthwhile, I can assure you of that.  Over the past few years I have had the privilege of teaching the art of these beautiful therapies, spreading my experience, knowledge and passion for my work, also giving support to my students after their training.  This journey needs to be shared and help should always be at hand - it was something I didn’t get after leaving college, I just felt kind of dumped!

So my aim was to always be there for my students and help where I could.  I don’t hold all the answers but together we would work it out, or find where and how.

Last year, as Como started to develop, Elaine and I wanted a safe place for the learning journey of  our Reiki Students.  Workshops, events, Reiki Shares were all on the agenda but we had no fixed abode and worked from my treatment room or the local Village Hall.  A chain of events took place at the Village Hall and we thought of it as home.  Then our friends upstairs had other ideas for us and we found our beloved Como Centre.  We knew at this point that holistic training was going to be part of this incredible journey, so at the end of last year I wrote the training manuals for all the therapies I do.  Anatomy and Physiology forms the basis of all therapies and we can now take our students from scratch, all the way through and beyond whatever they decided they wanted to do. This all comes, of course, with love and attention to individual needs and giving support during and after their courses.

Como Holistic Training was born.  The manuals are all accredited by the Guild of Holistic Therapies and the icing on the cake was getting accreditation for Reiki, giving Reiki a professional qualification for our students.  Our A&P course is by distant learning on-line, with a final exam taken at our Centre.  The award is given and then the world is your oyster and training in all other courses can begin.  

Over the next few months new therapies will be available.  Both Elaine and I will be doing more studying and more courses will be available, giving you all opportunities to learn new skills.

Our first tutor has arrived too.  Eiren Curtis is an Holistic and Beauty therapist and will be bringing Beauty to Como.  We really do want to offer the full package, so whether you are a beginner or a qualified therapist, we have something to offer you.  We are based Wantage, Oxfordshire and our premises are just the ticket.  

So, let your journey begin.  We will be offering introductory courses in just the same way I started.   All our courses are aimed at learning with fun, and if you find you would like to develop your knowledge and qualify then we can take you through the whole process.  

So why are you waiting, take a look at our website - http://www.comocentreforenlightenment.com.  Oh and watch this space ... there will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.